March 30th, 2010
H-Town Showdown: Kenneally’s vs. McElroy’s
We argue about many things around The Loop Scoop offices. Our most well publicized has been the debate of local pizza joints. No, we haven’t yet come to a resolution. We just find new things to disagree about. Being that we can’t keep anything in house, we’re bringing our newest latest tête-à-tête to you, the Loopsters. So, who ya got? Kenneally’s or McElroy’s?
Contender #1: Kenneally’s
Located on the busy street of Shepherd, Kenneally’s does its best to remain a introverted haven for locals and Guinness connoisseurs. There is a smallish patio on the side of the pub, with a portion of it not only covered but enclosed. It’s almost like smoking inside for those still suffering with a nicotine fetish. They do good business during weekday happy hours when the slightly yuppie crowd rolls through on their way home and on some weekends Kenneally’s gets absolutely packed. If you have a hankering for some food with your booze, the kitchen excels with their pizza and, my personal favorite, pub-made potato chips served with salt and vinegar. But don’t think it’s just about the basics. If you get the right bartender your Guinness comes with the flourish of a clover drawn into the head.
Contender #2: McElroy’s
If you weren’t looking for this Irish pub on Sandman, you would easily miss it. Compared to the signage for Stag’s Head across the street and Davenport at the end of block, McElroy’s is subtle. It’s because their true gem is hidden. The patio in the back is an alcove that transports you to a place that is neither home nor a bar. It’s a place to escape with friends for that story you’ve been dying to tell them since last weekend. Before you can get to the back patio you have to walk through the cozy bar area. There is a room for darts in the corner – out of the way of any stray pedestrians – and comfortable couches set up around tiny tables. They are perfect for that semi-large group to convene or the quaint one-on-one of a first date being somewhat expansive and exclusive at the same time. Grab your beer and find your ideal seating because you’re going to be at McElroy’s for a while.
The Final Jabs
- Kenneally’s has food for the potentially sober.
- McElroy’s has free darts… Kenneally’s makes you buy them if you didn’t bring them.
- There’s a classic jukebox at Kenneally’s with a great selection, but McElroy’s has an internet jukebox that is seldom abused by Top 40 lovers. Each appeal to the hipster in all of us.
- The bathrooms are a wash. Both have equally obnoxious latrines. Kenneally’s gets a nod only because they actually have doors on the stalls.
- You could vote just based on color: An overwhelming red at McElroy’s or a more subdued hunter green at Kenneally’s.
- Watch yourself walking in the side door at Kenneally’s. A stray darts could cause some serious damage.
Vote It Out